Ministerial Education

We have educational expectations for ministers at all levels–education needed before a license is granted, and continuing education from that point on.

To be ordained in the United Brethren church, you need a Masters degree in a relevant field.

Course of Study

The Pastoral Ministry Leadership Team oversees issues of ministerial education. They developed a list of core topics which we want their education to cover–one list in preparation for the national conference license and a longer one for ordination.

Approved Seminaries

Our ministers obtain their education at a number of different seminaries. The PMLT developed a list of approved seminaries.

Lay Minister’s Reading List

Before receiving their license, lay ministers are required to read 16 books from a long list prepared by the PMLT.

Courses for Ministers

We occasionally offer courses on specific subjects for persons seeking ministerial licensing.