In January 1982, Steve became editor of the United Brethren magazine. When the magazine ended in 1993 and the publications transitioned to a newsletter approach, his position was centralized under the title Communications Director. Basically, he handles anything having to do with publications–brochures, denominational newsletters, booklets, books, and all internet strategy (including this web site).
Steve holds a Masters in Public Relations from Ball State University (1995). He has written six books, and has published articles in 40-some magazines.
He and Pam were married in 1989. Pam is a partner in Christen-Souers LLC, a CPA firm in Fort Wayne. In 1998, they became part of a core group which left Emmanuel Community Church to start Anchor Community Church in Fort Wayne, Ind. Steve plays the keyboard in the worship team.
Steve and Pam live in Fort Wayne, Ind., with their two cats, Molly and Jordi.
Contact Steve at:
|Address||302 Lake St. Huntington, IN 46750|
|Phone||(260) 356-2312, ext. 307|
|Use this Form|
On the Personal Side
Where I’ve Lived
- Born in Huntington, Ind. Lived there until age 9.
- Harrisburg, Pa. (grades 4-7).
- Lake Havasu City (grades 7-10). My favorite place.
- Pixley, Calif. (grades 11-12). This is when Dad entered the ministry. I graduated in 1975 from Tulare Union High School in Tulare, Calif.
- Huntington, Ind. (1975-1989). Came back for college and stuck around.
- Fort Wayne, Ind. (since 1989).
How I Met My Spouse
I was attending New Hope UB church in Huntington, Ind. Pam, six years younger than me, began attending there as a Huntington University student.
Our First Date
I took Pam to our office Christmas banquet in 1984.
About My Parents….
Dad was a public schoolteacher until the end of my sophomore year of high school, when our family entered the ministry. Mom is one of the most talented people you’ll ever meet. They served five different small churches, and left each church much better than they found it. They are a great team, with a boatload of gifts.
- I collect bayonets (65 and counting), and also have gobs of pocketknives.
- Playing table tennis (I play in a Fort Wayne club, and have played in occasional tournaments).
- Reading mysteries, particularly in the Vintage Black Lizard imprint (Chandler, Hammett, Mankell, MacDonald, Thompson, and many other great writers).
- Riding my bike.
- Writing on my blog.
What I Like About My Church
I prefer a smaller church, which Anchor is. We have many great friendships there. Anchor ministers among people on the lower end of the economic spectrum, in an area where dysfunction is fairly rampant. I love that.
As a Kid I was….
Somewhat introverted. Usually a year older than my classmates. Split between two groups–the brains and the athletes.
2008, Pam and I spent a week at a Bed & Breakfast in the Black Hills, around Rapid City, South Dakota. But we’ve gone to Branson 6 times, and always enjoy it.
In Regard to Pets…
I love dogs, but our lifestyle–work work work–is more suited to cats. We have two: Molly and Jordi. Molly is a cancer survivor.
In a Previous Life….
Back when I was single and needed the money, I did a lot of freelance writing for Christian magazines. Sold around 150 articles to probably 40 different publications. I have a folder with hundreds of rejection slips to keep me humble. During summer vacations from college, I worked in a grocery store, and loved it. Nobody bagged groceries faster than we did.
Favorite Christian Books
- The Pursuit of Holiness, by Jerry Bridges. Read it several times, led a Bible study on it. Time to read it again.
- Decision-Making and the Will of God, by Garry Friesen. I’ve used these principles many times.
- Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. Really moved me.
- A Severe Mercy, by Sheldon Van Auken.
- Celebration of Discipline, by Richard Foster.
Other Favorite Books
- Lord of the Rings trilogy, by J. R. R. Tolkien. Read it three times.
- The Red Tent, a novel about the women around Jacob, by Anita Diamant.
- The White Lioness, a novel by Henning Mankell.
- Good Morning, Merry Sunshine, by Bob Greene. A diary of his daughter’s first year.
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, by Stephen Covey. At least a couple of these have become my own habits.
- Breakfast Club. Fabulous writing.
- Last of the Mohicans
- The Dirty Dozen
- Field of Dreams
- Ferris Buehler’s Day Off
- The Outlaw Josey Wales
- Princess Bride
- The Quick and the Dead
- Saving Private Ryan
Favorite TV Shows
- 60 Minutes
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Gilligan’s Island
Favorite Sports Teams
- Pro Football: Indianapolis Colts and Minnesota Vikings.
- Pro Basketball: Phoenix Suns, LA Lakers.
- College Basketball: UCLA and Arizona.
- College Football: USC.
- Baseball: Can’t stand baseball.
Favorite Places I’ve Been
- St. Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican.
- The hilltop fort in Masaya, Nicaragua.
- Florence, Italy.