The provisional license is granted by the Pastoral Ministry Leadership Team to those persons called to serve in a congregation of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, USA, as a senior pastor, full-time staff pastor, or pastor in transition in these situations:
- When holding credentials with another group.
- When planting a church for the United Brethren in Christ, USA.
- When not holding any credential.
This license is granted as the entry level for two distinct tracks of ministerial pursuit: ordination, or the Specialized Ministry license.
- Must be recommended for this license by the bishop.
- Must go through an examination process with the Pastoral Ministry Leadership Team–answering questions, soliciting reference letters, and submitting educational transcripts.
- Must take the United Brethren history course.
- Must pursue a course of study leading toward a Master of Divinity degree or a Master of Ministry degree through an approved seminary, or courses to meet the 24 areas of study outlined in the Pastoral Ministry Handbook.
- Must report annually to the bishop.